Gift Idea: Gibson Wallet Kit with D2 Leatherwork
Dominic Davis, owner of D2 Leatherwork, made a custom pattern to pair with our Gibson Wallet Kit. Follow his step-by-step tutorial and download the FREE pattern to get started!
Plus, an additional FREE Floral Pattern option here.
Take a look at how Dominic designed the pattern for his wallet here!
- Gibson Wallet (SKU 4043-00)
- Craftool® Pro Modeling Tool (SKU 8039-)
- Swivel Knife (SKU 82009-01)
- Craftool Flower Center Stamp (SKU 6520-00)
- Cluster Center Stamps (SKU 8875-07)
- 18-Seed Oval Center Stamp (SKU 8875-12)
- 18-Seed Center Stamps ( SKU 8875-04)
- 12-Seed Center Stamps (SKU 8875-01)
- Craftool® Beveler Stamp (SKU 6893-00)
- Craftool® Beveler Stamp (SKU 6204-00)
- Craftool® Beveler Stamp (SKU 6997-00)
- Craftool® Cross Hatch Beveler Stamp (SKU 6198-00)
- Craftool® Smooth Beveler Stamp (SKU 6060-00)
- Craftool® Background Stamp (SKU 6105-00)
- Craftool® Background Stamp (SKU 6889-00)
- Craftool® Background Stamp (SKU 6102-00)
- Teardrop Checkered Backgrounder Stamps (SKU 8875-14)
- Oval Checkered Backgrounder Stamps (SKU 8875-18)
- Cross Hatch Pear Shader Stamp (SKU 6236-00)
- Craftool® Fine Checkered Pear Background Stamp (SKU 6098-00)
- Craftool® Checkered Pear Background Stamp (SKU 6104-00)
- Craftool® Coarse Checkered Pear Background Stamp (SKU 6118-00)
- Craftool® Pear Shader Stamp (SKU 6368-00)
- Craftool® Smooth Pear Shader Stamp (SKU 6233-00)
- Fiebing's Pro Dye (SKU 2110-)
- Fiebing's Antique Finish (SKU 21980-)
- Fiebing's Tan Kote (SKU 2220-)
- Trace the pattern onto the kit using a Craftool® Pro Modeling Tool to make a light impression.
- Use the Swivel Knife to make deeper cuts while following the design of the pattern.
- Add dimension to your kit by carving with a variety of stamps of your choice.
- Once you are done stamping the front of the kit, transition to the back of the kit.
- Draw a rectangle on the back of the kit. The rectangle should go along the outer edge of the back piece of the kit. Then draw a diagonal line from one corner to the other to act as a guide when creating the basketweave pattern.
- Create a basketweave pattern along the backside of the kit using basketweave stamps.
- Now it’s time to dye your kit! Using a brush, dye the areas surrounding your carving pattern on the front of the kit using Fiebing’s Pro Dye.
- Once you're done dyeing the front, move to the back of the kit. Dye around the basketweave pattern using a brush.
- Pour some Tan Kote onto a sponge and gently brush the front and back of the kit. Keep applying until all areas are coated, letting the kit dry between layers.
- Repeat the process with Tan Kote until all pieces of the kit are coated.
- Put on a pair of gloves and use your finger to gently apply a nice, even layer of Fiebing’s Antique Finish on the front and back of the kit.
- Using a clean sponge, wipe away the excess antique finish. Repeat these steps to the other pieces of the kit.
- Lastly, use the Tan Kote again to add one final coat to all the pieces!
- Assemble the Gibson Wallet Kit by following the instructions here.
Dominic Davis, owner of D2 Leatherwork creates high quality custom leatherwork with intricate carving designs.